Friday, November 17, 2006

Voting: Gunpowder, treason and plot

You may be aware that the day for Australian elections is at hand. In fact, it is on Saturday 25th November, at all council election posts near you. Find out more here. (In fact, if you aren't aware, and you aren't even registered to vote, SHAME ON YOU! Go! You should vote and then, depending on the outcome, you will be entitled to rant about the state of politics. Go on! Go now!)
Anyway, moving slightly back to the point of today's theme, I was faced the other day with an A4-sized landscape piece of paper stuck at eye-level to a lamppost on Fitzroy Street in St Kilda. Normally faced with enormous billboard-type things slung on lampposts well above my head with hideous photographs of local election candidates, I was somewhat surprised to note that the theme of the poster was also in fact about elections. In fact, it said:

VOTE 1: Bring back Guy Fawkes' Night Party
And, indeed, who can argue with that? I too would like to see the return of Guy Fawkes' Night, if only for the excitement of a nice roaring fire to warm your fingers and toes at the beginning of a November with strangely atypical (I am assured by stalwart Melburnians) weather (I refer you to the snowfall just a couple of days ago, which was more snow than they had in the Snowys the whole of last season), and a few nice fireworks (I have grown to like them since my younger days, when I am told I hid my face in her shoulder and muttered "Me no like'm the bang ones, Mummy"). I have to wonder what their other policies are, but I think perhaps they might have featured highly in my list of parties, were I eligible to vote. For those interested in the history of Guy Fawkes, check this out.
For those of you with a lyrical bent:
Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I see of no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Want to make your own policies? Check out the inspirational Policy Generator. Or simply make up your own - someone, somewhere, will vote for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home