Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Vagaries of Coffee


How do you like your latte? Milky consistency, or creamy consistency? I mean, the lattes I have drunk in my time (and forget about the actual coffee here, because that could well have been burnt or muddy or out-of-date) have varied endlessly from the weakest skimmed milk pap to the creamiest yummiest thick goodness that I like. In between, of course, I've had coffees that professed to be lattes, which were actually flat whites with a bit of cappuccino froth on top, and flat whites with a bit of something on the top which I *think* was milk, but may just have been a bit of scum, and various other things which may not actually have been coffee at all... My vote goes to the creamy latte, please and thank you, so now I am pleased that the new barista at the Arkibar actually makes them just right.

Now Jim, on the other hand, had all sorts of issues with macchiatos (or macchiatoes?!), when in Sydney. This was because in Sydney they have no idea what a *long* macchiato is. So he had to tell them every time how to make a long macchiato, and every time they still got it wrong. (Mind you, this could also be because, in general, as everyone knows, the coffee making in Melbourne far surpasses and coffee making in Sydney). Poor Jim. He is *so* relieved to be back in Melbourne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home